Friday, January 15, 2010

Musee d'Orsay


With my computer still on the fritz, I regret that I have no new pictures to share with you this week. So here's an old standby of one of my Paris faves: the clock at the Musee d'Orsay which I saw for the first time on a visit in the late 1980s. Many of the details of that sojourn in Paris are foggy but not the feeling of being astonished, elated, and thrilled by the Orsay. Whomever had the genius to turn an old train station into a temple for 19th century art has my eternal gratitude. And each time I go, I swear I spend more time gazing at the building and the design of the galleries than at works of art in the collection. If you only have time for one museum in Paris, make it this one. And to all visitors, here's a tip. Don't start on the ground floor. Go up as high as you can and work your way down. The crowds thin with the altitude but the experience never does.

6 comments:

debbie in toronto said...

I wish I'd had that tip the day I went...it's defo a place that takes more than one day to see properly...

Eli said...

def my fav museum - always walk to the top and then walk down (hate escalators so use the stairs).

But I am a 'Starry Starry Night' addict not to mention Degas ballerinas.

Starman said...

By far my favorite.

Alyna said...

This is also one of my favourite things in Paris. I remember the first time I went in I was completely overwhelmed by the imensity of it and its intricate design. I must have photographed it from every angle, every floor, from everywhere I could see it.
It was simply amazing!

Rebecca said...

I spent the day at the Orsay while my husband and his friend explored the catacombs. As I had the entire day to myself I took advantage and explored the Orsay at a very leisurely pace. I did exactly as you suggest and went up high. I sat for the longes time just admiring my surroundings. Great place to people watch as well. Thank you for reminding me of that beautiful day.

Kim B. said...

You're exactly right about starting up top -- most of the things that the 'average' American visitor will want to see -- Degas pastels, Impressionists, etc., is up top. And if you've started on the ground floor looking at every piece (the way my parents do), by the time you got up there, you'd be too tired to enjoy it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails