Friday, March 13, 2009

25 Things I Love About Paris: #23

23. Exploring the different neighborhoods

One of the true joys of living in Paris is having the time to explore the different quartiers at a leisurely pace. Some times a museum visit takes me to a neighborhood I've never visited before; other times, it's a search for a shop selling something that's not readily available near me. I've taken tours, both with professional guides or just with a trusted travel book in hand, and enjoyed them all. Whether it's the wide boulevards in the busy 9th arrondissement or the quiet alleyways of Belleville or Butte aux Cailles, there's always something to see and learn. Maybe it's a shop window, a historical marker, an unusual building facade, or just someone in a crazy getup.

Personally, I find that exploring always stimulates the appetite. What better excuse to try a restaurant like Lao Lane Xang II, serving up delicious Thai-Vietnamese fare on Avenue d'Ivry in the 13th or Le Josselin near Montparnasse for some authentic Breton crepes? Just remember to wear comfortable shoes, and to pack your map and your umbrella. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll be ready for whatever Paris throws your way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic and I agree!

I've made a note of the Thai-Vietnamese place - am so eager to explore Asian restaurants in Paris.

Cheers.

Starman said...

I love how all of the neighborhoods are unique unto themselves.

Related Posts with Thumbnails