Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear


Okay so the global economy is headed straight into the toilet and there's not much we can do but sit on the sidelines and watch our pensions and the kids' college savings accounts swirl downward into the abyss. But there is one small bit of good news for American expats: the dollar is the strongest that it's been in over a year, clocking in at the close of business Friday at $1.35 per euro. (It was as bad as $1.60 last winter.) I've had my share of economics courses but lately, it seems the more I read, the less I understand. In the meantime, our daily bread is that much cheaper. Guess I'll take what I can get.

3 comments:

Starman said...

-sigh- The euro. It was 1.60 when I was there this past summer (Mai-Juillet).

Anonymous said...

Amen! My wife and I are planning to a trip to Paris this November. Day after the election actually--so, no matter who wins, we're leaving the country! Couldn't be more excited about the exchange rate. Felt a bit extravagant to go, considering the economy, but we have the miles so airfare is free. Hey, at least it's bringing some tourism dollars to Paris!

Anne said...

Well as they say, don't count your nickels before they...or something like that. In these crazy times, the dollar could do anything by the first week in November. You'll just have to close your eyes and get used to whipping out that bank card no matter what.

Related Posts with Thumbnails